e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 14, 2021

Title 34Subtitle BChapter IIPart 222Subpart L → §222.174

Title 34: Education
Subpart L—Impact Aid Discretionary Construction Grant Program Under Section 8007(b) of the Act

§222.174   What prohibitions apply to these funds?

Grant funds under this program may not be used to supplant or replace other available non-Federal construction money. These grant funds may be used for emergency or modernization activities only to the extent that they supplement the amount of construction funds that would, in the absence of these grant funds, be available to a grantee from non-Federal funds for these purposes.

Example 1. “Supplanting.” An LEA signs a contract for a $300,000 roof replacement and plans to use its capital expenditure fund to pay for the renovation. Since the LEA already has non-Federal funds available for the roof project, it may not now use a grant from this program to pay for the project or replace its own funds in order to conserve its capital fund.

Example 2. “Non-supplanting.” The LEA from the example of supplanting that has the $300,000 roof commitment has also received a $400,000 estimate for the replacement of its facility's heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. The LEA has not made any commitments for the HVAC system because it has no remaining funds available to pay for that work. Since other funds are not available, it would not be supplanting if the LEA received an emergency grant under this program to pay for the HVAC system.

(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 7707(b))

Need assistance?