e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of February 24, 2021

Title 32Subtitle AChapter VSubchapter DPart 552Subpart I → §552.119

Title 32: National Defense
Subpart I—Physical Security of Arms, Ammunition, and Explosives—Fort Lewis, Washington

§552.119   Registration and storage.

(a) All types of personal weapons to include rifles, shotguns, handguns and antique firearms owned by personnel residing on Fort Lewis Military Reservation will be registered at the Weapons Registration Office, Law Enforcement Command, within 72 hours (three working days) after signing in to his/her permanent unit of assignment. HFL Form 816, Registration of Personal Firearms, will be completed in triplicate. The unit commander is responsible for verifying proof of legal ownership paperwork on all data entered on HFL 816. The Military Police Weapons Registration Section will retain two copies of the completed registration form and issue one copy to the individual to be retained with the weapon at all times. The Weapons Registration Section will forward one copy of the form to the individual's unit commander. The commander's copy of the registration will be maintained in the unit arms room for personnel storing personal weapons in the unit arms room. When an individual possessing a personal weapon transfers (intra-installation), the losing commander will ensure that HFL Form 816 is forwarded to the gaining commander. The gaining commander will ensure that the individual re-registers the personal weapon within 72 hours (three working days). The commander of 525th Replacement Detachment is responsible for the storage of personal weapons of newly arriving personnel, temporarily assigned to the unit. Personnel residing off post who wish to bring personal weapons on post are also required to register those weapons. Weapons registration forms (HFL 816) will be turned in at the Weapons Registration Section when clearing post. Upon any sale or transfer of a registered weapon, the transaction will be immediately reported within 72 hours (three working days) to the Registration Office. For additional guidance on weapon registration, refer to Fort Lewis Regulation 210-1.

(b) All soldiers are required to inform the unit commander if they are storing privately owned weapons within a 100 mile radius of Fort Lewis. Soldiers residing off-post must inform the unit of the location of the weapon(s). Those weapons must be registered if they are to be brought onto the installation for any type of authorized use.

(c) Privately owned weapons of soldiers residing in the unit billets, Bachelor Enlisted Quarters (BEQ), or Bachelor Officer Quarters (BOQ), will be stored in the assigned unit arms room under the following provisions:

(1) Commanders may authorize their personnel who reside in billets, BEQ or BOQ to store privately owned weapons in the off post quarters of another member of his/her unit or in the quarters of immediate family members residing in the area.

Family members will be considered sponsors for paragraph (b) (2) thru (5) of this section.

(2) A unit member who resides off post may sponsor a maximum of one unit member who resides in billets, BEQ or BOQ for storage of privately owned weapons.

(3) Request to store weapons off post must be submitted in writing to the unit commander, indicating the name, exact address and phone number of the proposed unit sponsor. Request must be accompanied by a written authorization from the sponsor to store the weapons, and a copy of HFL 816. Request must be kept on file in the unit arms room until legal disposition of the weapon is presented to the unit commander.

(4) Civilians (except for immediate family residing in the area) and military dependents will not be considered as sponsors to store privately owned weapons for military members.

(5) Unit commanders have the responsibility to verify the off post location for off post storage requests and ensure that military members comply with both local and state laws governing possession and use of privately owned weapons.

(d) Weapons stored in unit arms rooms may be issued to registered owners only for authorized hunting or participation in authorized target practices or matches. Request for issue of a privately owned weapon from the arms room must be in writing indicating the inclusive dates and times, reasons and serial number of weapon for issue. Weapons stored in the unit arms rooms may not be issued to anyone other than the registered owner.

(e) Properly registered privately owned weapons may be kept at the owners assigned government family quarters if approved in writing by the unit commander. One copy of the completed HFL Form 816 will be maintained on file in the unit arms room. Intra-post transfer rules as stated in paragraph (a) of this section apply.

(f) Privately owned weapons with a maximum of 100 rounds of ammunition (per weapon) may be stored in the unit arms room. Weapons and ammunition will be stored separately. The owner of a privately owned weapon will be issued a hand receipt when the weapon and/or ammunition is turned in to the arms room. The owner will return the hand receipt when the weapon and/or ammunition is removed from the arms room for any reason.

(g) Weapons cancellation and installation clearance will be as follows:

(1) Commander will ensure that privately owned weapons registered with Weapons Registration Section are de-registered during the outprocessing or when legally disposed of.

(2) Individuals who register a privately owned weapon and legally dispose of the weapon while it is still registered will surrender the registration certificate to the Weapons Registration Section at the time of disposal along with appropriate disposition documents.

Need assistance?