e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of October 20, 2020

Title 30Chapter XIISubchapter APart 1228Subpart C → §1228.100

Title 30: Mineral Resources
Subpart C—Oil and Gas, Onshore

§1228.100   Entering into an agreement.

(a) A State or Indian tribe may request the Department to enter into a cooperative agreement by sending a letter from the governor, tribal chairman, or other appropriate official with delegation authority, to the Director of ONRR.

(b) The request for an agreement shall be in a format prescribed by ONRR and should include at a minimum the following information:

(1) Type of eligible activities to be undertaken.

(2) Proposed term of the agreement.

(3) Evidence that the State or Indian tribe meets, or can meet by the time the agreement is in effect, the standards established by the Secretary for the types of activities to be conducted under the terms of the agreement.

(4) If the State is proposing to undertake activities on Indian lands located within the State, a resolution from the appropriate tribal council indicating their agreement to delegate to the State responsibilities under the terms of the cooperative agreement for activities to be conducted on tribal or allotted land.

(c) The eligible activities to be conducted under the terms of a cooperative agreement may be funded or unfunded by the Department. See §1228.105 of this subpart for funding of cooperative agreements.

[49 FR 37348, Sept. 21, 1984, as amended at 56 FR 10512, Mar. 13, 1991]

Need assistance?