e-CFR banner


e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources


Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of February 21, 2020

Title 30Chapter VSubchapter BPart 550Subpart B → §550.281

Title 30: Mineral Resources
Subpart B—Plans and Information

§550.281   What must I do to conduct activities under the approved EP, DPP, or DOCD?

(a) Approvals and permits. Before you conduct activities under your approved EP, DPP, or DOCD you must obtain the following approvals and or permits, as applicable, from the District Manager or BSEE Regional Supervisor:

(1) Approval of applications for permits to drill (APDs) (see 30 CFR 250.410);

(2) Approval of production safety systems (see 30 CFR 250.800);

(3) Approval of new platforms and other structures (or major modifications to platforms and other structures) (see 30 CFR 250.905);

(4) Approval of applications to install lease term pipelines (see 30 CFR 250.1007); and

(5) Other permits, as required by applicable law.

(b) Conformance. The activities proposed in these applications and permits must conform to the activities described in detail in your approved EP, DPP, or DOCD.

(c) Separate State CZMA consistency review. APDs, and other applications for licenses, approvals, or permits to conduct activities under your approved EP, DPP, or DOCD including those identified in paragraph (a) of this section, are not subject to separate State CZMA consistency review.

(d) Approval restrictions for permits for activities conducted under EPs. The Regional Supervisor will not approve any APDs or other applications for licenses, approvals, or permits under your approved EP until either:

(1) All affected States with approved coastal zone management programs concur, or are conclusively presumed to concur, with the coastal zone consistency certification accompanying your EP under section 307(c)(3)(B)(i) and (ii) of the CZMA (16 U.S.C. 1456(c)(3)(B)(i) and (ii)); or

(2) The Secretary of Commerce finds, under section 307(c)(3)(B)(iii) of the CZMA (16 U.S.C.1456(c)(3)(B)(iii)) that each activity covered by the EP is consistent with the objectives of the CZMA or is otherwise necessary in the interest of National security;

(3) If an affected State objects to the coastal zone consistency certification accompanying your approved EP after BOEM has approved your EP, you may either:

(i) Revise your EP to accommodate the State's objection and submit the revision to the Regional Supervisor for approval; or

(ii) Appeal the State's objection to the Secretary of Commerce using the procedures in 15 CFR part 930, subpart H. The Secretary of Commerce will either:

(A) Grant your appeal by making the finding described in paragraph (d)(2) of this section; or

(B) Deny your appeal, in which case you may revise your EP as described in paragraph (d)(3)(i) of this section.

Need assistance?