e-CFR banner


e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources


Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of February 21, 2020

Title 30Chapter VSubchapter BPart 550Subpart B → §550.201

Title 30: Mineral Resources
Subpart B—Plans and Information

§550.201   What plans and information must I submit before I conduct any activities on my lease or unit?

(a) Plans and documents. Before you conduct the activities on your lease or unit listed in the following table, you must submit, and BOEM must approve, the listed plans and documents. Your plans and documents may cover one or more leases or units.

You must submit a(n) . . .Before you . . .
(1) Exploration Plan (EP),Conduct any exploration activities on a lease or unit.
(2) Development and Production Plan (DPP),Conduct any development and production activities on a lease or unit in any OCS area other than the Western Gulf of Mexico.
(3) Development Operations Coordination Document (DOCD),Conduct any development and production activities on a lease or unit in the Western GOM.
(4) BSEE approved Deepwater Operations Plan (DWOP),Conduct post-drilling installation activities in any water depth associated with a development project that will involve the use of a non-conventional production or completion technology.
(5) Conservation Information Document (CID),Commence production from development projects in water depths greater than 1,312 feet (400 meters).
(6) EP, DPP, or DOCD,Conduct geological or geophysical (G&G) exploration or a development G&G activity (see definitions under §550.105) on your lease or unit when:
   (i) It will result in a physical penetration of the seabed greater than 500 feet (152 meters);
   (ii) It will involve the use of explosives;
   (iii) The Regional Director determines that it might have a significant adverse effect on the human, marine, or coastal environment; or
   (iv) The Regional Supervisor, after reviewing a notice under §550.209, determines that an EP, DPP, or DOCD is necessary.

(b) Submitting additional information. On a case-by-case basis, the Regional Supervisor may require you to submit additional information if the Regional Supervisor determines that it is necessary to evaluate your proposed plan or document.

(c) Limiting information. The Regional Director may limit the amount of information or analyses that you otherwise must provide in your proposed plan or document under this subpart when:

(1) Sufficient applicable information or analysis is readily available to BOEM;

(2) Other coastal or marine resources are not present or affected;

(3) Other factors such as technological advances affect information needs; or

(4) Information is not necessary or required for a State to determine consistency with their CZMA Plan.

(d) Referencing. In preparing your proposed plan or document, you may reference information and data discussed in other plans or documents you previously submitted or that are otherwise readily available to BOEM.

Need assistance?