e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We???ve made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of July 31, 2020

Title 27Chapter ISubchapter FPart 70Subpart G → §70.603

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms
Subpart G—Losses Resulting From Disaster, Vandalism, or Malicious Mischief

§70.603   Execution and filing of claim.

(a) General. (1) Claims under this subpart must be filed on Form 2635 (5620.8).

(2) The claim shall include all the facts on which the claim is based, and be accompanied by a record of inventory of the liquors lost, made unmarketable, or condemned. (See §70.604.)

(3) The claim shall contain a statement that no other claim for refund or credit of the amount claimed, or for any part of the amount claimed, has been or will be filed under any other law or regulations.

(b) Major disasters. Claims for refund of tax and/or duty on liquors which were lost, became unmarketable, or were condemned as a result of a major disaster must be filed not later than 6 months from the day on which the President determines that a major disaster has occurred.

(c) Other causes of loss. (1) Claims for amounts of $250 or more for refund of tax and/or duty on liquors which were lost, became unmarketable, or were condemned as the result of:

(i) Fire, flood, casualty, or other disaster; or

(ii) Damage (excluding theft) resulting from vandalism or malicious mischief, must be filed within 6 months after the date on which the disaster or damage occurred.

(2) Claims for amounts less than $250 will not be allowed.

[T.D. ATF-376, 61 FR 31033, June 19, 1996, as amended by T.D. ATF-450, 66 FR 29030, May 29, 2001]

Need assistance?