e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of September 23, 2020

Title 25Chapter ISubchapter KPart 256Subpart B → §256.10

Title 25: Indians
Subpart B—Determining Eligibility

§256.10   When do I qualify for Category C assistance?

(a) You qualify for replacement housing assistance under Category C if you meet one of the three sets of requirements in the following table.

You qualify for Category C assistance if .  .  .And .  .  .And .  .  .
(1) You own the house in which you are living as defined in §256.13(g)(1)-(5)The house cannot be brought up to applicable building code standards and to standard housing condition for $60,000 or less. (For Alaska, freight cost not to exceed 100 percent of the cost of materials can be added to the cost of the project)[No additional requirement].
(2) You do not own a houseYou own land that is suitable for housingThe land has adequate ingress and egress rights and reasonable access to utilities.
(3) You do not own a houseYou have a leasehold or the ability to acquire a leasehold on land that is suitable for housing and the leasehold is undivided and for not less than 25 years at the time you receive assistanceThe land has adequate ingress and egress rights and reasonable access to utilities.

(b) If you qualify for assistance under paragraph (a) of this section, you must sign a written grant agreement stating that, if you sell the house within 10 years of assuming ownership:

(1) The grant under this part will be voided; and

(2) At the time of settlement of the sale of the house, you will repay the tribe or tribal organization that operates the HIP or BIA the full cost of the house.

(c) If you sell the house more than 10 years after you assume ownership, the following conditions apply:

(1) You may retain 10 percent of the original cost of the house per year, beginning with the eleventh year.

(2) If you sell the house after 20 years, you will not have to repay the tribe, tribal organization, or BIA.

(d) A modest house provided with Category C assistance must meet the standards in the following table.

Number of occupantsNumber of bedrooms1Total square footage1
Up to 4 persons21000
Up to six persons31200
7 or more persons41400

1Determined by the servicing housing office, based on composition of family. Total living space must comply with applicable American Disabilities Act requirements.

Need assistance?