e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of September 17, 2020

Title 25Chapter ISubchapter HPart 166Subpart C → §166.200

Title 25: Indians
Subpart C—Permit Requirements

§166.200   When is a permit needed to authorize possession of Indian land for grazing purposes?

(a) Unless otherwise provided for in this part, any person or legal entity, including an independent legal entity owned and operated by a tribe, must obtain a permit under these regulations before taking possession of Indian land for grazing purposes.

(b) An Indian landowner who owns 100% of the trust or restricted interests in a tract may take possession of that Indian land without a permit or any other prior authorization from us.

(c) If an Indian landowner does not own 100 percent (%) of his or her Indian land and wants to use the Indian land for grazing purposes, a permit must be granted by the majority interest of the fractionated tract.

Need assistance?