e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of September 17, 2020

Title 25Chapter ISubchapter HPart 166Subpart B → §166.103

Title 25: Indians
Subpart B—Tribal Policies and Laws Pertaining to Permits

§166.103   How will tribal laws be enforced on Indian agricultural land?

(a) Unless prohibited by federal law, we will recognize and comply with tribal laws regulating activities on Indian agricultural land, including tribal laws relating to land use, environmental protection, and historic or cultural preservation.

(b) While the tribe is primarily responsible for enforcing tribal laws pertaining to Indian agricultural land, we will:

(1) Assist in the enforcement of tribal laws;

(2) Provide notice of tribal laws to persons or entities undertaking activities on Indian agricultural land, under §166.104(b) of this part; and

(3) Require appropriate federal officials to appear in tribal forums when requested by the tribe, so long as such an appearance would not:

(i) Be inconsistent with the restrictions on employee testimony set forth at 43 CFR Part 2, Subpart E;

(ii) Constitute a waiver of the sovereign immunity of the United States; or

(iii) Authorize or result in a review of our actions by a tribal court.

(c) Where the regulations in this subpart are inconsistent with a tribal law, but such regulations cannot be superseded or modified by the tribal law under §166.2 of this part, we may waive the regulations under part 1 of this title, so long as the waiver does not violate a federal statute or judicial decision or conflict with our general trust responsibility under federal law.

Need assistance?