e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of February 24, 2021

Title 24Subtitle APart 35Subpart K → §35.1015

Title 24: Housing and Urban Development
Subpart K—Acquisition, Leasing, Support Services, or Operation

§35.1015   Visual assessment, paint stabilization, and maintenance.

If a dwelling unit receives Federal assistance under a program covered by this subpart, each grantee or participating jurisdiction shall conduct the following activities for the dwelling unit, common areas servicing the dwelling unit, and the exterior surfaces of the building in which the dwelling unit is located:

(a) A visual assessment of all painted surfaces in order to identify deteriorated paint;

(b) Paint stabilization of each deteriorated paint surface, and clearance, in accordance with §§35.1330(a) and (b), before occupancy of a vacant dwelling unit or, where a unit is occupied, immediately after receipt of Federal assistance; and

(c) The grantee or participating jurisdiction shall require the incorporation of ongoing lead-based paint maintenance activities into regular building operations, in accordance with §35.1355(a), if the dwelling unit has a continuing, active financial relationship with a Federal housing assistance program, except that mortgage insurance or loan guarantees are not considered to constitute an active programmatic relationship for the purposes of this part.

(d) The grantee or participating jurisdiction shall provide a notice to occupants in accordance with §§35.125(b)(1) and (c), describing the results of the clearance examination.

[64 FR 50214, Sept. 15, 1999, as amended at 69 FR 34273, June 21, 2004]

Need assistance?