e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 19, 2021

Title 15Subtitle BChapter IXSubchapter DPart 970Subpart E → §970.503

Title 15: Commerce and Foreign Trade
Subpart E—Issuance/Transfer/Terms, Conditions and Restrictions

§970.503   Freedom of the high seas.

(a) Before issuing or transferring an exploration license, the Administrator must find that the exploration proposed in the application will not unreasonably interfere with the exercise of the freedoms of the high seas by other nations, as recognized under general principles of international law.

(b) In making this finding, the Administrator will recognize that exploration for hard mineral resources of the deep seabed is a freedom of the high seas. In the exercise of this right, each licensee must act with reasonable regard for the interests of other nations in their exercise of the freedoms of the high seas.

(c)(1) In the event of a conflict between the exploration program of an applicant or licensee and a competing use of the high seas by another nation or its nationals, the Administrator, in consultation and cooperation with the Department of State and other interested agencies, will enter into negotiations with that nation to resolve the conflict. To the maximum extent possible the Administrator will endeavor to resolve the conflict in a manner that will allow both uses to take place in a manner in which neither will unreasonably interfere with the other.

(2) If both uses cannot be conducted harmoniously in the area subject to the exploration plan, the Administrator will decide whether to issue or transfer the license.

Need assistance?