e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 25, 2021

Title 12Chapter VIISubchapter APart 702Subpart D → §702.401

Title 12: Banks and Banking
Subpart D—Reserves

§702.401   Reserves.

(a) Special reserve. Each federally insured credit union shall establish and maintain such reserves as may be required by the FCUA, by state law, by regulation, or in special cases by the NCUA Board or appropriate State official.

(b) Regular reserve. Each federally insured credit union shall establish and maintain a regular reserve account for the purpose of absorbing losses that exceed undivided earnings and other appropriations of undivided earnings, subject to paragraph (c) of this section. Earnings required to be transferred annually to a credit union's regular reserve under subparts B or C of this part shall be held in this account.

(c) Charges to regular reserve after depleting undivided earnings. The board of directors of a federally insured credit union may authorize losses to be charged to the regular reserve after first depleting the balance of the undivided earnings account and other reserves, provided that the authorization states the amount and provides an explanation of the need for the charge, and either—

(1) The charge will not cause the credit union's net worth classification to fall below “adequately capitalized” under subparts B or C of this part; or

(2) If the charge will cause the net worth classification to fall below “adequately capitalized,” the appropriate Regional Director and, if State-chartered, the appropriate State official, have given written approval (in an NWRP or otherwise) for the charge.

(d) Transfers to regular reserve. The transfer of earnings to a federally insured credit union's regular reserve account when required under subparts B or C of this part must occur after charges for loan or other losses are addressed as provided in paragraph (c) of this section and §702.402(d), but before payment of any dividends to members.

[65 FR 8584, Feb. 18, 2000, as amended at 67 FR 71093, Nov. 29, 2002]

Need assistance?