e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of March 2, 2021

Title 41Subtitle FChapter 301Subchapter B → Part 301-12

Title 41: Public Contracts and Property Management


§301-12.1   What miscellaneous expenses are reimbursable?
§301-12.2   What baggage expenses may my agency pay?

Authority: 5 U.S.C. 5707.

Source: FTR Amdt. 70, 63 FR 15965, Apr. 1, 1998, unless otherwise noted.

return arrow Back to Top

§301-12.1   What miscellaneous expenses are reimbursable?

When the following items have been authorized or approved by your agency, they will be reimbursed as a miscellaneous expense. Taxes for reimbursable lodging are deemed approved when lodging is authorized. Examples of such expenses include, but are not limited to the following:

General expensesFees to obtain moneySpecial expenses of foreign travel
Baggage expenses as described in §301-12.2.Fees for travelers checksCommissions on conversion of foreign currency.
Services of guides, interpreters, and drivers.Fees for money ordersPassport and/or visa fees, including fees for a physical examination if one is required to obtain a passport and/or visa and such examination could not be obtained at a Government facility. Reimbursement for such fees may include travel and transportation costs to the passport/visa issuing office if located outside the local commuting area of the employee's official station and the traveler's presence at that office is mandatory.
Services of an attendant as described in §301-13.3.
Use of computers, printers, faxing machines, and scanners.Fees for certified checksCosts of photographs for passports and visas.
Services of typists, data processors, or stenographers.Transaction fees for use of automated teller machines (ATMs)-Government contractor-issued charge cardForeign country exit fees.
Services of an attendant as described in §301-13.3.Costs of birth, health, and identity certificates.
Storage of property used on official business.Charges for inoculations that cannot be obtained through a Federal dispensary.
Hire of conference center room or hotel room for official business.
Official telephone calls/service (see note).
Faxes, telegrams, cablegrams, or radiograms.
Lodging taxes as prescribed in §301-11.27.
Laundry, cleaning and pressing of clothing expenses as prescribed in §301-11.31.
Energy surcharge and lodging resort fee(s) (when such fee(s) is/are not optional).

Note to §301-12.1: You should use Government provided services for all official communications. When they are not available, commercial services may be used. Reimbursement may be authorized or approved by your agency.

[FTR Amdt. 75, 63 FR 66675, Dec. 2, 1998, as amended by FTR Amdt. 108, 67 FR 57965, Sept. 13, 2002; FTR Amdt. 2006-03, 71 FR 24596, Apr. 26, 2006; FTR Amdt. 2007-05, 72 FR 61538, Oct. 31, 2007; FTR Amdt. 2010-07, 75 FR 72967, Nov. 29, 2010]

return arrow Back to Top

§301-12.2   What baggage expenses may my agency pay?

Your agency may reimburse expenses related to baggage as follows:

(a) Transportation charges for authorized excess;

(b) Necessary charges for transferring baggage;

(c) Necessary charges for storage of baggage when such charges are the result of official business;

(d) All fees pertaining to the first checked bag. In addition, charges relating to the second and subsequent bags may be reimbursed when the agency determines those expenses necessary and in the interest of the Government (see §§301-70.300, 301-70.301). Travelers should verify their agency's current policies and procedures regarding excess baggage prior to traveling; and

(e) Charges or tips at transportation terminals for handling Government property carried by the traveler.

[FTR Amdt. 70, 63 FR 15965, Apr. 1, 1998, as amended by FTR Amdt. 2010-07, 75 FR 72967, Nov. 29, 2010]

return arrow Back to Top

Need assistance?