e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of February 22, 2021

Title 12Chapter IIISubchapter B → Part 357

Title 12: Banks and Banking


§357.1   Economically depressed regions.

Authority: 12 U.S.C. 1819, 1823(k)(5).

return arrow Back to Top

§357.1   Economically depressed regions.

(a) Purpose. Section 13(k)(5) of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 1823(k)(5)) provides that the FDIC shall consider proposals for financial assistance for eligible insured savings associations before grounds exist for appointment of a conservator or receiver for such member. One of the criteria for eligibility is that an institution's offices are located in an economically depressed region as determined by the FDIC.

(b) Economically depressed regions. (1) For the purpose of determining “economically depressed regions”, the FDIC will determine whether an institution qualifies as being located in an “economically depressed region” on a case-by-case basis. That determination will be based on four criteria:

(i) High unemployment rates;

(ii) Significant declines in non-farm employment;

(iii) High delinquency rates of real estate assets at insured depository institutions; and

(iv) Evidence indicating declining real estate values.

(2) In addition, the FDIC will also consider relevant information from institutions regarding their geographic market area, as well as information on whether that market is “economically depressed”.

[55 FR 11161, Mar. 27, 1990, as amended at 63 FR 10295, Mar. 3, 1998; 71 FR 20527, Apr. 21, 2006]

return arrow Back to Top

Need assistance?