e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 14, 2021

Title 46Chapter ISubchapter QPart 162Subpart 162.050 → §162.050-3

Title 46: Shipping
Subpart 162.050—Pollution Prevention Equipment

§162.050-3   Definitions.

As used in this subpart—

15 ppm separator means a separator that is designed to remove enough oil from an oil-water mixture to provide a resulting mixture that has an oil concentration of 15 ppm or less.

Bilge alarm means an instrument that is designed to measure the oil content of oily mixtures from machinery space bilges and fuel oil tanks that carry ballast and activate an alarm at a set concentration limit and record date, time, alarm status, and operating status of the 15 ppm separator.

Independent laboratory means a laboratory that—

(1) Has the equipment and procedures necessary to approve the electrical components described in §§162.050-21(b) and 162.050-25(c), or to conduct the test described in §162.050-37(a); and

(2) Is not owned or controlled by a manufacturer, supplier, or vendor of separators, oil content meters, or bilge alarms.

Oil content meter or meter means a component of the oil discharge monitoring and control system that is designed to measure the oil content of cargo residues from cargo tanks and oily mixtures combined with these residues.

PPM means parts per million by volume of oil in water.

Response time means the time elapsed between an alteration in the sample being supplied to the bilge alarm and the ppm display showing the correct response.

[USCG-2004-18939, 74 FR 3382, Jan. 16, 2009]

Need assistance?