e-CFR banner


e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources


Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

e-CFR data is current as of March 26, 2020

Title 32Subtitle AChapter VSubchapter BPart 536Subpart A → §536.17

Title 32: National Defense
Subpart A—The Army Claims System

§536.17   Single-service claims responsibility (DODD 5515.8 and DODD 5515.9).

(a) Assignment for DOD claims. The army is responsible for processing DOD claims pursuant to DODD 5515.9 (posted on the USARCS Web site; for the address see §536.2(a)).

(b) Statutes and agreements. DOD has assigned single-service responsibility for the settlement of certain claims in certain countries, pursuant to DODD 5515.8 (posted on the USARCS Web site; for the address see §536.2(a)) under the following statutes and agreements:

(1) FCA (10 U.S.C. 2734);

(2) MCA (10 U.S.C. 2733);

(3) Status of Forces Agreements (10 U.S.C. 2734a and 2734b);

(4) NATO SOFA (4 U.S.T. 1792, Treaties and International Acts Series (T.I.A.S.) 2846) and other similar agreements;

(5) FCCA (31 U.S.C. 3711-3720E) and FMCRCA (42 U.S.C. 2651-2653);

(6) Claims not cognizable under any other provision of law, 10 U.S.C. 2737; and

(7) Advance payments, 10 U.S.C. 2736.

(c) Specified foreign countries. Responsibility for the settlement of claims cognizable under the laws listed above has been assigned to military departments pursuant to DODD 5515.8, as supplemented by executive agreement and other competent directives.

(d) When claims responsibility has not been assigned. When necessary to implement contingency plans, the unified or specified commander with authority over the geographic area in question may, on an interim basis before receiving confirmation and approval from the General Counsel, DOD, assign single-service responsibility for processing claims in countries where such assignment has not already been made.

Note to §536.17: See also §536.32 for information on transferring claims among armed services branches.

Need assistance?