e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We???ve made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Help button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of August 6, 2020

Title 24Subtitle BChapter IXPart 1007 → §1007.30

Title 24: Housing and Urban Development

§1007.30   Security for loan.

(a) In general. A loan guaranteed under section 184A of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1992 and this part may be secured by any collateral authorized under and not prohibited by Federal or State law and determined by the lender and approved by HUD to be sufficient to cover the amount of the loan. Eligible collateral may include, but is not limited to, the following:

(1) The property and/or improvements to be acquired, constructed, or rehabilitated, to the extent that an interest in such property is not subject to any restrictions against alienation applicable to Hawaiian Home Lands;

(2) A security interest in non-Hawaiian Home Lands property;

(3) Personal property; or

(4) Cash, notes, an interest in securities, royalties, annuities, or any other property that is transferable and whose present value may be determined.

(b) Hawaiian Home Lands property interest as collateral. If a property interest in Hawaiian Home Lands is used as collateral or security for the loan, the following additional provisions apply:

(1) Approved Lease. Any land lease for a unit financed under section 184A of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1992 must be on a form approved by both the DHHL and HUD.

(2) Assumption or sale of leasehold. The lease form must contain a provision requiring the DHHL's consent before any assumption of an existing lease, except where title to the leasehold interest is obtained by HUD through foreclosure of the guaranteed mortgage or a deed in lieu of foreclosure. A mortgagee other than HUD must obtain the DHHL's consent before obtaining title through a foreclosure sale. The DHHL's consent must be obtained on any subsequent transfer from the purchaser, including HUD, at foreclosure sale. The lease may not be terminated by the lessor without HUD's approval while the mortgage is guaranteed or held by HUD.

(3) Liquidation. The lender or HUD shall only pursue liquidation after offering to transfer the account to another eligible Native Hawaiian family or the DHHL. The lender or HUD shall not sell, transfer, or otherwise dispose of or alienate the property except to another eligible Native Hawaiian family or the DHHL.

(4) Eviction procedures. Before HUD will guarantee a loan secured by a Hawaiian Home Lands property, the DHHL must notify HUD that it has adopted and will enforce procedures for eviction of defaulted mortgagors where the guaranteed loan has been foreclosed.

(i) Enforcement. If HUD determines that the DHHL has failed to enforce adequately its eviction procedures, HUD will cease issuing guarantees for loans under this part except pursuant to existing commitments.

(ii) Review. If HUD ceases issuing guarantees for the DHHL's failure to enforce its eviction procedures, HUD shall notify the DHHL of such action and that the DHHL may, within 30 days after notification of HUD's action, file a written appeal with the Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office of Native American Programs (ONAP). Upon notification of an adverse decision by the Deputy Assistant Secretary, the DHHL has 30 additional days to file an appeal with the Assistant Secretary for Public and Indian Housing. The determination of the Assistant Secretary shall be final, but the DHHL may resubmit the issue to the Assistant Secretary for review at any subsequent time if new evidence or changed circumstances warrant reconsideration.

[67 FR 40776, June 13, 2002, as amended at 68 FR 66985, Nov. 28, 2003]

Need assistance?