e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of January 14, 2021

Title 24Subtitle APart 58Subpart B → §58.11

Title 24: Housing and Urban Development
Subpart B—General Policy: Responsibilities of Responsible Entities

§58.11   Legal capacity and performance.

(a) A responsible entity which believes that it does not have the legal capacity to carry out the environmental responsibilities required by this part must contact the appropriate local HUD Office or the State for further instructions. Determinations of legal capacity will be made on a case-by-case basis.

(b) If a public housing, special project, HOPWA, Supportive Housing, Shelter Plus Care, or Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity recipient that is not a responsible entity objects to the non-recipient responsible entity conducting the environmental review on the basis of performance, timing, or compatibility of objectives, HUD will review the facts to determine who will perform the environmental review.

(c) At any time, HUD may reject the use of a responsible entity to conduct the environmental review in a particular case on the basis of performance, timing or compatibility of objectives, or in accordance with §58.77(d)(1).

(d) If a responsible entity, other than a recipient, objects to performing an environmental review, or if HUD determines that the responsible entity should not perform the environmental review, HUD may designate another responsible entity to conduct the review in accordance with this part or may itself conduct the environmental review in accordance with the provisions of 24 CFR part 50.

[61 FR 19122, Apr. 30, 1996, as amended at 68 FR 56129, Sept. 29, 2003]

Need assistance?