e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of April 8, 2021

Title 40Chapter ISubchapter JPart 307Subpart C → §307.31

Title 40: Protection of Environment
Subpart C—Procedures for Filing and Processing Response Claims

§307.31   Filing procedures.

(a) A response claim must be submitted on EPA Form 2075-4 and must include:

(1) Documentation showing that the claimed response activities were preauthorized by EPA;

(2) Documentation showing that the response activity was accomplished in a manner consistent with the PDD, noting any deviation from preauthorized activities;

(3) Documentation that a search to identify potentially responsible parties was conducted in accordance with §307.30 and of any contacts with such parties; and

(4) Substantiation that all claimed costs are necessary costs.

(b) Claimants (or their authorized representatives) may amend their claims at any time before final action by EPA. Amendment of claims after final action by EPA will be allowed only at EPA's discretion. Each amendment must be submitted in writing and must be signed by the claimant or authorized representative. The time limitations of §307.32(i) refer to the date by which an amendment is filed.

(c) Claimants may not pursue both an action in court against potentially responsible parties and a claim against the Fund at the same time for the same response costs. EPA will return claims presented under this subpart when the Agency determines that a claimant has initiated an action for recovery of the same response costs, in court, against a party potentially liable under section 107 of CERCLA.

Need assistance?