e-CFR Navigation Aids


Simple Search

Advanced Search

 — Boolean

 — Proximity


Search History

Search Tips


Latest Updates

User Info


Agency List

Incorporation By Reference

eCFR logo

Related Resources

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

We invite you to try out our new beta eCFR site at https://ecfr.federalregister.gov. We have made big changes to make the eCFR easier to use. Be sure to leave feedback using the Feedback button on the bottom right of each page!

e-CFR data is current as of April 8, 2021

Title 31Subtitle BChapter IISubchapter APart 361 → §361.7

Title 31: Money and Finance: Treasury

§361.7   Report of loss, destruction or damage.

(a) If a consignor receives notice that loss or destruction of, or damage to, valuables shipped in accordance with the Act has occurred, an immediate written report shall be forwarded by the consignor to the Secretary, to the attention of the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, Division of Financial Management, Room 201, P. O. Box 1328, Parkersburg, WV 26106-1328. If the loss, destruction or damage represents a value equal to, or in excess of, $10,000 or if delay in reporting is likely to delay the Government in recovering such valuables, the report shall be transmitted by wire and promptly confirmed in writing.

(b) The report shall state:

(1) The date of shipment;

(2) The amount and character of the valuables lost, destroyed, or damaged;

(3) The name and address of the consignee;

(4) The method of transportation, the name of the carrier, and the location of the office of the carrier from which shipment was made;

(5) The registry or other receipt number; and

(6) The cause of the loss, destruction or damage, if known.

(c) The consignor shall immediately report the loss, destruction or damage to the agent in charge of the nearest United States Secret Service office, and to the local post office or local office of other carrier. The consignor shall also place a tracer on the shipment and take such other action as may be necessary to facilitate recovery.

[41 FR 19302, May 12, 1976. Redesignated and amended at 49 FR 47002, Nov. 30, 1984. Further redesignated and amended at 50 FR 51394, Dec. 17, 1985; 61 FR 20437, May 7, 1996]

Need assistance?