The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 9: Animals and Animal Products
§78.22 Brucellosis reactor bison.
(a) Destination. Brucellosis reactor bison may be moved interstate only for immediate slaughter as follows:
(1) Directly to a recognized slaughtering establishment;
(2) Directly to an approved intermediate handling facility and then directly to a recognized slaughtering establishment; or
(3) From a farm of origin directly to a specifically approved stockyard approved to receive brucellosis reactors and then
(i) Directly to a recognized slaughtering establishment; or
(ii) Directly to an approved intermediate handling facility and then directly to a recognized slaughtering establishment.
(b) Identification. Brucellosis reactor bison must be individually identified prior to moving interstate by attaching to the left ear a metal tag bearing a serial number and the inscription “U.S. Reactor,” or a metal tag bearing a serial number designated by the State animal health official for identifying brucellosis reactors, and must be:
(1) “B” branded (as defined in §78.1); or
(2) Accompanied directly to slaughter by an APHIS or State representative; or
(3) Moved in vehicles closed with official seals applied and removed by an APHIS representative, State representative, accredited veterinarian, or an individual authorized for this purpose by an APHIS representative. The official seal numbers must be recorded on the accompanying permit.
(c) Permit. Brucellosis reactor bison moving interstate shall be accompanied to destination by a permit.
(d) Marking of records. Each person moving brucellosis reactor bison interstate shall, in the course of interstate movement, plainly write or stamp the words “Brucellosis Reactor” upon the face of any document that person prepares in connection with such movement.
(e) Segregation en route. Brucellosis reactor bison shall not be moved interstate in any means of conveyance containing animals which are not brucellosis reactors unless all of the animals are for immediate slaughter or unless the brucellosis reactor bison are kept separate from the other animals by a partition securely affixed to the sides of the means of conveyance.
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 0579-0051)
[51 FR 32580, Sept. 12, 1986, as amended at 59 FR 67133, Dec. 29, 1994; 60 FR 48368, Sept. 19, 1995]