Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
(a) To certify that the tank complies with all specification requirements, each tank shall be plainly and permanently stamped in letters and figures 3⁄8 inch high into the metal of valve end chime as follows:
(1) DOT Specification number.
(2) Material and cladding material if any (immediately below the specification number).
(3) Owner's or builder's identifying symbol and serial number (immediately below the material identification). The symbol shall be registered with the Bureau of Explosives, duplications are not authorized.
(4) Inspector's official mark (immediately below the owner's or builder's symbol).
(5) Date of original tank test (month and year, such as 1-64 for January 1964). This should be so placed that dates of subsequent tests may easily be added thereto.
(6) Water capacity—0000 pounds.
(b) A copy of the above stamping in letters and figures of the prescribed size stamped on a brass plate secured to one of the tank heads is authorized.