Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§160.170-5 Incorporation by reference.
(a) Certain material is incorporated by reference into this part with the approval of the Director of the Federal Register under 5 U.S.C. 552(a) and 1 CFR part 51. To enforce any edition other than that specified in this section, the Coast Guard must publish notice of change in the Federal Register and the material must be available to the public. All approved material is available for inspection at Coast Guard Headquarters. Contact Commandant (CG-ENG-4), Attn: Lifesaving and Fire Safety Division, U.S. Coast Guard Stop 7509, 2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20593-7509. You may also inspect this material at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030 or go to http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/code_of_federal_regulations/ibr_locations.html. You may obtain copies of the material from the sources specified in the following paragraphs.
(b) American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), 100 Barr Harbor Drive, P.O. Box C700, West Conshohocken, PA 19428-2959.
(1) ASTM A 36/A 36M-08, Standard Specification for Carbon Structural Steel, (approved May 15, 2008), IBR approved for §160.170-7 (“ASTM A 36”).
(2) ASTM A 276-08a, Standard Specification for Stainless Steel Bars and Shapes, (approved October 1, 2008), IBR approved for §160.170-7 (“ASTM A 276”).
(3) ASTM A 313/A 313M-08, Standard Specification for Stainless Steel Spring Wire, (approved October 1, 2008), IBR approved for §160.170-7 (“ASTM A 313”).
(4) ASTM A 314-08, Standard Specification for Stainless Steel Billets and Bars for Forging, (approved October 1, 2008), IBR approved for §160.170-7 (“ASTM A 314”).
(5) ASTM A 653/A 653M-08, Standard Specification for Steel Sheet, Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) or Zinc-Iron Alloy-Coated (Galvannealed) by the Hot-Dip Process, (approved July 15, 2008), IBR approved for §§160.170-7, 160.170-13, and 160.170-15 (“ASTM A 653”).
(6) ASTM F 1166-07, Standard Practice for Human Engineering Design for Marine Systems, Equipment, and Facilities, (approved January 1, 2007), IBR approved for §160.170-7 (“ASTM F 1166”).
(c) International Maritime Organization (IMO), Publications Section, 4 Albert Embankment, London SE1 7SR, United Kingdom, +44 (0)20 7735 7611, http://www.imo.org/.
(1) IMO Resolution A.760(18), Symbols Related to Life-Saving Appliances and Arrangements, (adopted November 4, 1993), IBR approved for §160.170-19 (“IMO Res. A.760(18)”).
(2) Life-Saving Appliances, including LSA Code, 2010 Edition, (2010), pages 7-71 (“IMO LSA Code”), IBR approved for §§160.170-3 and 160.170-7.
(3) Life-Saving Appliances, including LSA Code, 2010 Edition, (2010), Revised recommendation on testing of live-saving appliances, pages 79-254 (“IMO Revised recommendation on testing”), IBR approved for §§160.170-7, 160.170-13, 160.170-15, and 160.170-17.
(4) MSC/Circular 980, Standardized Life-saving Appliance Evaluation and Test Report Forms, (February 13, 2001), IBR approved for §160.170-13 (“IMO MSC Circ. 980”).
(5) MSC.1/Circular 1205, Guidelines for Developing Operation and Maintenance Manuals for Lifeboat Systems, (May 26, 2006), IBR approved for §160.170-21 (“IMO MSC.1 Circ. 1205”).
[USCG-2010-0048, 76 FR 63007, Oct. 11, 2011, as amended by USCG-2013-0671, 78 FR 60159, Sept. 30, 2013]