The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§119.420 Engine cooling.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this section, all engines must be water cooled and meet the requirements of this paragraph.
(1) The engine head, block, and exhaust manifold must be water jacketed and cooled by water from a pump that operates whenever the engine is operating.
(2) A suitable hull strainer must be installed in the circulating raw water intake line of an engine cooling water system.
(3) A closed fresh water system may be used to cool the engine.
(b) A propulsion or auxiliary diesel engine may be air cooled or employ an air cooled jacket water radiator when:
(1) Installed on an open deck and sufficient ventilation for machinery cooling is available; or
(2) Installed in an enclosed or partially enclosed space for which ventilation for machinery cooling that complies with the requirement of §119.465(b) of this part is provided, and other necessary safeguards are taken so as not to endanger the vessel.