Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Text | PDF
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
(a) Timing, purpose, and procedures. (1) No more often than once a year, CMS conducts a survey of a randomly selected sample of participating ASCs to collect data for analysis or reevaluation of payment rates.
(2) CMS notifies the selected ASCs by mail of their selection and of the form and content of the report the ASCs are required to submit within 60 days of the notice.
(3) If the facility does not submit an adequate report in response to CMS's survey request, CMS may terminate the agreement to participate in the Medicare program as an ASC.
(4) CMS may grant a 30-day postponement of the due date for the survey report if it determines that the facility has demonstrated good cause for the delay.
(b) Requirements for ASCs. ASCs must—
(1) Maintain adequate financial records, in the form and containing the data required by CMS, to allow determination of the payment rates for covered surgical procedures furnished to Medicare beneficiaries under this subpart.
(2) Within 60 days of a request from CMS submit, in the form and detail as may be required by CMS, a report of—
(i) Their operations, including the allowable costs actually incurred for the period and the actual number and kinds of surgical procedures furnished during the period; and
(ii) Their customary charges for each surgical procedure furnished for the period.
[47 FR 34094, Aug. 5, 1982, as amended at 56 FR 8845, Mar. 1, 1991]