The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 40: Protection of Environment
§1048.255 What decisions may EPA make regarding my certificate of conformity?
(a) If we determine your application is complete and shows that the engine family meets all the requirements of this part and the Act, we will issue a certificate of conformity for your engine family for that model year. We may make the approval subject to additional conditions.
(b) We may deny your application for certification if we determine that your engine family fails to comply with emission standards or other requirements of this part or the Clean Air Act. We will base our decision on all available information. If we deny your application, we will explain why in writing.
(c) In addition, we may deny your application or suspend or revoke your certificate if you do any of the following:
(1) Refuse to comply with any testing or reporting requirements.
(2) Submit false or incomplete information (paragraph (e) of this section applies if this is fraudulent).
(3) Render inaccurate any test data.
(4) Deny us from completing authorized activities despite our presenting a warrant or court order (see 40 CFR 1068.20). This includes a failure to provide reasonable assistance.
(5) Produce engines for importation into the United States at a location where local law prohibits us from carrying out authorized activities.
(6) Fail to supply requested information or amend your application to include all engines being produced.
(7) Take any action that otherwise circumvents the intent of the Act or this part.
(d) We may void your certificate if you do not keep the records we require or do not give us information as required under this part or the Act.
(e) We may void your certificate if we find that you intentionally submitted false or incomplete information.
(f) If we deny your application or suspend, revoke, or void your certificate, you may ask for a hearing (see §1048.820).
[70 FR 40474, July 13, 2005, as amended at 73 FR 59236, Oct. 8, 2008; 75 FR 23022, Apr. 30, 2010]