Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Text | PDF
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 40: Protection of Environment
§270.145 What are the procedures for public comment on the draft RAP or notice of intent to deny?
(a) The Director must:
(1) Send notice to you of his intention to approve or deny your RAP application, and send you a copy of the statement of basis;
(2) Publish a notice of his intention to approve or deny your RAP application in a major local newspaper of general circulation;
(3) Broadcast his intention to approve or deny your RAP application over a local radio station; and
(4) Send a notice of his intention to approve or deny your RAP application to each unit of local government having jurisdiction over the area in which your site is located, and to each State agency having any authority under State law with respect to any construction or operations at the site.
(b) The notice required by paragraph (a) of this section must provide an opportunity for the public to submit written comments on the draft RAP or notice of intent to deny within at least 45 days.
(c) The notice required by paragraph (a) of this section must include:
(1) The name and address of the office processing the RAP application;
(2) The name and address of the RAP applicant, and if different, the remediation waste management site or activity the RAP will regulate;
(3) A brief description of the activity the RAP will regulate;
(4) The name, address and telephone number of a person from whom interested persons may obtain further information, including copies of the draft RAP or notice of intent to deny, statement of basis, and the RAP application;
(5) A brief description of the comment procedures in this section, and any other procedures by which the public may participate in the RAP decision;
(6) If a hearing is scheduled, the date, time, location and purpose of the hearing;
(7) If a hearing is not scheduled, a statement of procedures to request a hearing;
(8) The location of the administrative record, and times when it will be open for public inspection; and
(9) Any additional information the Director considers necessary or proper.
(d) If, within the comment period, the Director receives written notice of opposition to his intention to approve or deny your RAP application and a request for a hearing, the Director must hold an informal public hearing to discuss issues relating to the approval or denial of your RAP application. The Director may also determine on his own initiative that an informal hearing is appropriate. The hearing must include an opportunity for any person to present written or oral comments. Whenever possible, the Director must schedule this hearing at a location convenient to the nearest population center to the remediation waste management site and give notice according to the requirements in paragraph (a) of this section. This notice must, at a minimum, include the information required by paragraph (c) of this section and:
(1) Reference to the date of any previous public notices relating to the RAP application;
(2) The date, time and place of the hearing; and
(3) A brief description of the nature and purpose of the hearing, including the applicable rules and procedures.