The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief
§36.4368 Nondiscrimination and equal opportunity in housing certification requirements.
(a) Any request for a master certificate of reasonable value on proposed or existing construction, and any request for appraisal of individual existing housing not previously occupied, which is received on or after November 21, 1962, will not be assigned for appraisal prior to receipt of a certification from the builder, sponsor or other seller, in the form prescribed by the Secretary, that neither it nor anyone authorized to act for it will decline to sell any property included in such request to a prospective purchaser because of his or her race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
(b) On requests for appraisal of individual proposed construction received on or after November 21, 1962, the prescribed nondiscrimination certification will be required if the builder is to sell the veteran the lot on which the dwelling is to be constructed, but will not be required if:
(1) The veteran owns the lot; or
(2) The lot is being acquired by the veteran from a seller other than the builder and there is no identity of interest between the builder and the seller of the lot.
(c) Each builder, sponsor or other seller requesting approval of site and subdivision planning shall be required to furnish a certification, in the form prescribed by the Secretary, that neither it nor anyone authorized to act for it will decline to sell any property included in such request to a prospective purchaser because of his or her race, color, religion, sex or national origin. Site and subdivision analysis will not be commenced by the Department of Veterans Affairs prior to receipt of such certification.
(d) No commitment shall be issued and no loan shall be guaranteed or insured under 38 U.S.C. chapter 37 unless the veteran certifies, in such form as the Secretary shall prescribe, that
(1) Neither he/she, nor anyone authorized to act for him/her, will refuse to sell or rent, after the making of a bona fide offer, or refuse to negotiate for the sale or rental of, or otherwise make unavailable or deny the dwelling or property covered by this loan to any person because of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin;
(2) He/she recognizes that any restrictive covenant on the property relating to race, color, religion, sex or national origin is illegal and void and any such covenant is specifically disclaimed; and
(3) He/she understands that civil action for preventive relief may be brought by the Attorney General of the United States in any appropriate U.S. District Court against any person responsible for a violation of the applicable law.
(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3703(c)(1))