Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§1917.121 Spiral stairways.
(a) Definition. “Spiral stairway” means one with closed circular form, uniform sector-shaped treads and a supporting column.
(b) Requirements. Spiral stairways shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Stairways shall conform to the minimum dimensions of Figure F-1;View or download PDF
Spiral Stairway—Minimum Dimensions
(2) Stairway risers shall be uniform and shall range from 61⁄2 to 101⁄2 inches (16.5 to 26.67 cm) in height;
(3) Minimum loading capability shall be 100 pounds per square foot (4.79kN), and minimum tread center concentrated loading shall be 300 pounds (1334 N);
(4) Railings shall conform to the requirements of §1917.112(c)(1). If balusters are used, there shall be a minimum of one per tread. Handrails shall be a minimum of 11⁄4 inches (3.18 cm) in outside diameter; and
(5) Vertical clearance shall be at least 6 feet, 6 inches (1.98 m) above the top step.
(c) Maintenance. Spiral stairways shall be maintained in safe condition.
[48 FR 30909, July 5, 1983, as amended at 62 FR 40201, July 25, 1997; 65 FR 40942, June 30, 2000]