Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§404.1201 Scope of this subpart regarding coverage and wage reports and adjustments.
This subpart contains the rules of SSA about:
(a) Coverage under section 218 of the Act—
(1) How a State enters into and modifies an agreement; and
(2) What groups of employees a State can cover by agreement.
(b) Contributions, wage reports, and adjustments—for wages paid prior to 1987—
(1) How a State must identify covered employees and what records it must keep on those employees;
(2) Periodic reviews of the source records kept on covered employees;
(3) How and when a State must report wages and pay contributions;
(4) What the State's liability for contributions is and how SSA figures the amount of those contributions;
(5) What happens if a State fails to pay its contributions timely;
(6) How errors in reports and contribution payments are corrected;
(7) How overpayments of contributions are credited or refunded;
(8) How assessments are made if contributions are underpaid; and
(9) How a State can obtain administrative or judicial review of a decision on a credit, refund, or assessment.
[53 FR 32976, Aug. 29, 1988, as amended at 57 FR 59911, Dec. 17, 1992; 65 FR 16813, Mar. 30, 2000]