The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§1008.9 Action in response to a request for access: initial denial of access.
(a) A request by an individual for information about or access to a record or information pertaining to that individual that is contained in a system of records may be denied only upon a determination by the appropriate System Manager, with the concurrence of the appropriate General Counsel, that:
(1) The record is subject to an exemption under §1008.12;
(2) The record is information compiled in reasonable anticipation of a civil action or proceeding; or
(3) The individual has unreasonably failed to comply with the procedural requirements of this part.
(b) The Privacy Act Officer shall give written notice of the denial of a request of information about or access to records or information pertaining to the individual and contained in a system of records. Such written notice shall be sent by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested and shall include the following information:
(1) The System Manager's name and title;
(2) The reasons for the denial, including citation to the appropriate sections of the Privacy Act and this part; and
(3) Notification of the individual's right to appeal the denial pursuant to §1008.11 and to administrative and judicial review under 5 U.S.C. 552a(g)(1)(B), as limited by 552a(g)(5).
(c) Nothing in this section shall:
(1) Require the furnishing of information or records that are not retrieved by the name or by some other identifying number, symbol or identifying particular of the individual making the request;
(2) Prevent a System Manager from waiving any exemption authorizing the denial of records, in accordance with §1008.12.