The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 16: Commercial Practices
Subpart A—Background and Definitions
This part sets forth the Commission's interpretation, policy, and procedures with regard to the establishment and maintenance of a Publicly Available Consumer Product Safety Information Database (also referred to as the “Database”) on the safety of consumer products and other products or substances regulated by the Commission.
This part applies to the content, procedure, notice, and disclosure requirements of the Publicly Available Consumer Product Safety Information Database, including all information published therein.
(a) Except as specified in paragraph (b) of this section, the definitions in section 3 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (CPSA) (15 U.S.C. 2052) apply to this part.
(b) For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) Additional information means any information that the Commission determines is in the public interest to include in the Publicly Available Consumer Product Safety Information Database.
(2) Commission or CPSC means the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
(3) Consumer product means a consumer product as defined in section 3(a)(5) of the CPSA, and also includes any other products or substances regulated by the Commission under any other act it administers.
(4) Harm means injury, illness, or death; or risk of injury, illness, or death, as determined by the Commission.
(5) Mandatory recall notice means any notice to the public required of a firm pursuant to an order issued by the Commission under section 15(c) of the CPSA.
(6) Manufacturer comment means a comment made by a manufacturer or private labeler of a consumer product in response to a report of harm transmitted to such manufacturer or private labeler.
(7) Publicly Available Consumer Product Safety Information Database, also referred to as the Database, means the database on the safety of consumer products established and maintained by the CPSC as described in section 6A of the CPSA.
(8) Report of harm means any information submitted to the Commission through the manner described in §1102.10(b), regarding any injury, illness, or death; or any risk of injury, illness, or death, as determined by the Commission, relating to the use of a consumer product.
(9) Submitter of a report of harm means any person or entity that submits a report of harm.
(10) Voluntary recall notice means any notice to the public by the Commission relating to a voluntary corrective action, including a voluntary recall of a consumer product, taken by a manufacturer in consultation with the Commission.