Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Text | PDF
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§279.1 Jurisdiction and authority.
A food retailer or wholesale food concern aggrieved by administrative action under §278.1, §278.6 or §278.7 of this chapter may, within a period stated in this Part, file a written request for review of the administrative action with FNS. On receipt of the request for review, the questioned administrative action shall be stayed pending disposition of the request for review, except in the case of a permanent disqualification as specified in §278.6(e)(1) of this chapter.
(a) Jurisdiction. Reviewers designated by the Secretary shall act for the Department on requests for review filed by food retailers or wholesale food concerns aggrieved by any of the following actions:
(1) Denial of an application or withdrawal of authorization to participate in the program under §278.1 of this chapter;
(2) Disqualification under §278.6 of this chapter, except that a disqualification for failure to pay a civil money penalty shall not be subject to administrative review and a disqualification imposed under §278.6(e)(8) of this chapter shall not be subject to administrative or judicial review;
(3) Imposition of a fine under §278.6 of this chapter;
(4) Denial of all or part of any claim asserted by a firm against FNS under §278.7(c), (d), or (e) of this chapter;
(5) Assertion of a claim under §278.7(a) of this chapter; or
(6) Forfeiture of part or all of a collateral bond or a draw down of part or all of a letter of credit under §278.1 of this chapter, if the request for review is made by the authorized firm. FNS shall not accept requests for review made by a bonding company or agent or commercial bank.
(b) Authority. The determination of the designated reviewer shall be the final administrative determination of the Department, subject, however, to judicial review under section 14 of the Food Stamp Act and subpart B of this part.
[68 FR 41052, July 10, 2003, as amended at 73 FR 79595, Dec. 30, 2008]