The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 7: Agriculture
§1703.142 Nonapproved purposes for loans.
(a) Loans made under this subpart will not be provided to pay the costs of recurring or operating expenses incurred after two years from approval of the project except for leases (see §1703.141).
(b) Loans made under this subpart will not be provided for any of the following costs:
(1) To purchase equipment that will be owned by the local exchange carrier or another telecommunications service provider, unless the applicant is the local exchange carrier or other telecommunications service provider;
(2) To duplicate facilities providing distance learning or telemedicine services in place or to reimburse the applicant or others for costs incurred prior to RUS' receipt of the completed application;
(3) For projects located in areas covered by the Coastal Barrier Resources Act (16 U.S.C. 3501 et seq.); or
(4) To pay for salaries, wages, or administrative expenses; or
(5) For any purpose that the Administrator has not specifically approved.
(c) Except as otherwise provided in §1703.112, funds shall not be used to finance a project, in part, when the success of the project is dependent upon the receipt of additional financial assistance under this subpart G or is dependent upon the receipt of other funding that is not assured.
[64 FR 14369, Mar. 25, 1999, as amended at 64 FR 25423, May 12, 1999]