The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 5: Administrative Personnel
§2412.6 Initial decision on access requests.
(a) Within ten (10) working days of the receipt of a request pursuant to §2412.5, the appropriate Regional Director or the Director of Administration of the Authority, as appropriate, shall make an initial decision whether the requested records exist and whether they will be made available to the person requesting them. That initial decision shall immediately be communicated, in writing or other appropriate form, to the person who has made the request.
(b) Where the initial decision is to provide access to the requested records, the above writing or other appropriate communication shall:
(1) Briefly describe the records to be made available;
(2) State whether any records maintained, in the system of records in question, about the individual making the request are not being made available;
(3) State that the requested records will be available during ordinary office hours at the appropriate regional office or offices of the Authority, the General Counsel or the Panel, as appropriate; and
(4) State whether any further verification of the identity of the requesting individual is necessary.
(c) Where the initial decision is not to provide access to requested records, the appropriate Regional Director or the Director of Administration of the Authority, as appropriate, shall by writing or other appropriate communication explain the reason for that decision. The appropriate Regional Director or the Director of Administration of the Authority, as appropriate, shall only refuse to provide an individual access where:
(1) There is inadequate verification of identity under §2412.5(d);
(2) In fact no such records are maintained; or
(3) The requested records have been compiled in a reasonable anticipation of civil or criminal action or proceedings.
[45 FR 3491, Jan. 17, 1980, as amended at 51 FR 33837, Sept. 23, 1986]