The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§240.217 Time limitations for making determinations.
(a) A railroad shall not certify or recertify a person as a qualified locomotive engineer in any class of train or engine service, if the railroad is making:
(1) A determination concerning eligibility and the eligibility data being relied on were furnished more than 366 days before the date of the railroad's certification decision;
(2) A determination concerning visual and hearing acuity and the medical examination being relied on was conducted more than 366 days before the date of the railroad's recertification decision;
(3) A determination concerning demonstrated knowledge and the knowledge examination being relied on was conducted more than 366 days before the date of the railroad's certification decision; or
(4) A determination concerning demonstrated performance skills and the performance skill testing being relied on was conducted more than 366 days before the date of the railroad's certification decision;
(b) The time limitations of paragraph (a) of this section do not apply to a railroad that is making a certification decision in reliance on determinations made by another railroad in accordance with paragraph (c)(2) of this section, §240.227, or §240.229.
(c) Except as provided in §240.201 concerning implementation dates for initial certification decisions and paragraph (b) of this section, no railroad shall:
(1) Certify a person as a qualified locomotive engineer for an interval of more than 36 months; or
(2) Rely on a certification issued by another railroad that is more than 36 months old.
(d) Except as provided for in §240.201 concerning initial implementation of the program, a railroad shall issue each person designated as a certified locomotive engineer a certificate that complies with §240.223 no later than 30 days from the date of its decision to certify or recertify that person.
[56 FR 28254, June 19, 1991, as amended at 58 FR 19003, Apr. 9, 1993; 60 FR 53137, Oct. 12, 1995; 64 FR 60992, Nov. 8, 1999; 74 FR 68184, Dec. 23, 2009]