Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Title 48: Federal Acquisition Regulations System
31.205-37 Royalties and other costs for use of patents.
(a) Royalties on a patent or amortization of the cost of purchasing a patent or patent rights necessary for the proper performance of the contract and applicable to contract products or processes are allowable unless—
(1) The Government has a license or the right to a free use of the patent;
(2) The patent has been adjudicated to be invalid, or has been administratively determined to be invalid;
(3) The patent is considered to be unenforceable; or
(4) The patent is expired.
(b) Care should be exercised in determining reasonableness when the royalties may have been arrived at as a result of less-than-arm's-length bargaining; e.g., royalties—
(1) Paid to persons, including corporations, affiliated with the contractor;
(2) Paid to unaffiliated parties, including corporations, under an agreement entered into in contemplation that a Government contract would be awarded; or
(3) Paid under an agreement entered into after the contract award.
(c) In any case involving a patent formerly owned by the contractor, the royalty amount allowed should not exceed the cost which would have been allowed had the contractor retained title.
(d) See 31.109 regarding advance agreements.