The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§197.432 Surface-supplied air diving.
The diving supervisor shall insure that—
(a) Surface-supplied air diving is conducted at depths less than 190 fsw, except that dives with bottom times of 30 minutes or less may be conducted to depths of 220 fsw;
(b) Each diving operation has a primary breathing gas supply;
(c) Each diver is continuously tended while in the water;
(d) When a diver is in a physically confining space, another diver is stationed at the underwater point of entry and is line-tending the diver;
(e) For dives deeper than 130 fsw or outside the no-decompression limits—
(1) Each diving operation has a secondary breathing gas supply;
(2) A decompression chamber is ready for use at the dive location;
(3) A diving stage is used except when a bell is provided;
(4) A bell is used for dives with an in-water decompression time greater than 120 minutes, except when the diver is using a heavy-weight diving outfit or is diving in a physically confining space;
(5) A separate dive team member tends each diver in the water;
(6) A standby diver is available while a diver is in the water; and
(7) Each diver has a diver-carried reserve breathing gas supply except when using a heavy-weight diving outfit or when diving in a physically confining space; and
(f) The surface-supplied air diver has the equipment required by §197.346 (b) or (d).