The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§185.524 Fire fighting drills and training.
(a) The master shall conduct sufficient fire drills to make sure that each crew member is familiar with his or her duties in case of a fire.
(b) Each fire drill must include:
(1) Summoning passengers on a vessel on an overnight voyage to muster or embarkation stations;
(2) Summoning the crew to report to assigned stations and to prepare for and demonstrate assigned duties; and
(3) Instruction in the use and location of fire alarms, extinguishers, and any other fire fighting equipment on board.
(c) Each fire drill must, as far as practicable, be conducted as if there were an actual emergency.
(d) Fire fighting drills and training shall be logged or otherwise documented for review by the Coast Guard upon request. The drill entry shall include the following information:
(1) Date of the drill and training; and
(2) General description of the drill scenario and training topics.
[CGD 85-080, 61 FR 1005, Jan. 10, 1996, as amended at 62 FR 51359, Sept. 30, 1997]