Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§182.710 Piping for vital systems.
(a) Vital systems are those systems that are vital to a vessel's survivability and safety. For the purpose of this part the following are vital systems:
(1) Fuel system;
(2) Fire main;
(3) Carbon dioxide, Halon 1301, and clean agent systems;
(4) Bilge system;
(5) Steering system;
(6) Propulsion system and its necessary auxiliaries and controls;
(7) Ship's service and emergency electrical generation system and its necessary auxiliaries; and
(8) A marine engineering system identified by the cognizant OCMI as being crucial to the survival of the vessel or to the protection of the personnel on board.
(b) For the purpose of this part, a system not identified in paragraph (a) of this section is a non-vital system.
(c) Piping used in a vital system must:
(1) Be composed of ferrous materials except when:
(i) Nonmetallic piping materials are permitted by §182.720; or
(ii) Nonferrous metallic piping materials are permitted by §182.730; and
(2) If subject to a pressure of more than 1,034 kPa (150 psig), be designed, fabricated, and inspected in accordance with the principles of ANSI B 31.1 (incorporated by reference; see 46 CFR 175.600) or other standard specified by the Commandant.
[CGD 85-080, 61 FR 986, Jan. 10, 1996, as amended by USCG-2003-16630, 73 FR 65209, Oct. 31, 2008; USCG-2006-24797, 77 FR 33892, June 7, 2012]