The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§171.067 Treatment of stepped and recessed bulkheads in Type I subdivision.
(a) For the purpose of this section—
(1) The main transverse watertight bulkhead immediately forward of a stepped bulkhead is referred to as bulkhead 1; and
(2) The main transverse watertight bulkhead immediately aft of the stepped bulkhead is referred to as bulkhead 3.
(b) If a main transverse watertight bulkhead is stepped, it and bulkheads 1 and 3 must meet one of the following conditions:
(1) The separation between bulkheads 1 and 3 must not exceed the following:
(i) If the factor of subdivision (FS) determined from §171.065 (a) or (b) is greater than 0.9, the distance between bulkheads 1 and 3 must not exceed the maximum separation calculated to demonstrate compliance with §171.065.
(ii) If the factor of subdivision is 0.9 or less, the distance between bulkheads 1 and 3 must not exceed 90% of the floodable length or twice the maximum bulkhead separation calculated to demonstrate compliance with §171.065, whichever is smaller.
(2) Additional watertight bulkheads must be located as shown in Figure 171.067(a) so that distances A, B, C, and D, illustrated in Figure 171.067(a), satisfy the following:
(i) Distances A and B must not exceed the maximum spacing allowed by §171.065.
(ii) Distances C and D must not be less than the minimum separation prescribed by §171.065(e).
(3) The distance A, illustrated in Figure 171.067(b), must not exceed the maximum length determined in §171.065 corresponding to a margin line taken 3 inches (7.6 cm) below the step.
(c) A main transverse bulkhead may not be recessed unless all parts of the recess are inboard from the shell of the vessel a distance A as illustrated in Figure 171.067(c).
(d) Any part of a recess that lies outside the limits defined in paragraph (c) of this section must be treated as a step in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section.
(e) The distance between a main transverse watertight bulkhead and the transverse plane passing through the nearest portion of a recessed bulkhead must be greater than the minimum separation specified by §171.065(e).
(f) If a main transverse bulkhead is stepped or recessed, equivalent plane bulkheads must be used in the calculations required to demonstrate compliance with §171.065.View or download PDF View or download PDF