Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
(a) At each inspection for certification and periodic inspection, the marine inspector will examine and test the following items to the extent necessary, to determine that they are in proper operating condition and fit for the service for which they are intended:
(1) Engine starting system. Alternate methods of starting are checked.
(2) Engine control mechanisms. Mechanisms are operationally tested and visually examined.
(3) Auxiliary machinery. All machinery essential to the routine operation of the vessel is checked.
(4) Fuel systems. Tanks, tank vents and other appurtenances, piping and pipe fittings are examined. The fuel systems for the auxiliary propulsion engines and all other fuel systems installed are checked. All valves in the fuel lines are tested by operating locally and at remote operating positions.
(5) Sea valves and bulkhead closure valves. All overboard discharge and intake valves are checked.
(6) Bilge and drainage systems. The means provided for pumping bilges are operationally tested. All suction strainers are examined.
(b) During all inspections special attention is paid to ensure that no fire hazards exist and that guards or protective devices are provided in all hazardous places.
[CGD 83-005, 51 FR 896, Jan. 9, 1986, as amended by USCG-1999-4976, 65 FR 6508, Feb. 9, 2000]