The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
(a) This subchapter applies to each domestic vessel operating as a sailing school vessel.
(b) This subchapter does not apply to—
(1) Any vessel operating exclusively on inland waters, which are not navigable waters of the United States;
(2) Any vessel while laid up, dismantled, and out of service;
(3) Any vessel with title vested in the United States and which is used for public purposes except vessels of the U.S. Maritime Administration;
(4) Any vessel carrying one or more passengers;
(5) Any vessel operating under the authority of a current valid certificate of inspection issued per the requirements of 46 CFR chapter I, subchapter H or T, 46 CFR parts 70 through 78 and parts 175 through 187, respectively; or
(6) Any foreign vessel.
(c) A vessel which engages in trade or commerce or carries one or more passengers, cannot operate under a certificate of inspection as a sailing school vessel, but must meet the rules and regulations governing the service in which it is engaged.
[CGD 83-005, 51 FR 896, Jan. 9, 1986, as amended by USCG-1999-5040, 67 FR 34799, May 15, 2002]