Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
(a) Maximum persons capacity means—
(1) If the hoist has a rigid ladder, one person; or
(2) If the hoist has a platform, one person per square meter (10.75 sq. ft.) or fraction thereof of platform area (including hatch area);
(b) Working load means the sum of the weights of—
(1) The rigid ladder or lift platform, the suspension cables (if any) and the pilot ladder on a pilot hoist; and
(2) 150 kilograms (330 pounds) times the maximum persons capacity of the hoist;
(c) Lift height means the distance from the lowest step of the pilot ladder on a pilot hoist to the deck of a vessel on which the hoist is designed for installation when—
(1) The suspension cables of the hoist are run out until only three turns of cable remain on each drum; or
(2) If the hoist does not have suspension cables, the ladder or lift platform is in its lowest position.