The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) annual edition is the codification of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by the departments and agencies of the Federal Government produced by the Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§159.005-5 Preapproval review: Contents of application.
(a) Each application must contain the following:
(1) The name and address of the manufacturer and the factory where the finished equipment or material is produced.
(2) One or more of the following as required by the applicable subpart:
(i) Two sets of general plans of the equipment or material.
(ii) Two sets of specifications of the equipment or material.
(iii) A sample of the equipment or material accompanied by a written description of its components.
(3) A statement signed by the manufacturer or the manufacturer's representative, that an official representative of the Coast Guard is allowed access to the place of manufacture and to the place of test to verify the information submitted in the application or to witness tests.
(4) If the material submitted under paragraph (a)(2) of this section contains confidential commercial information that could cause substantial competitive harm if released to the public, a statement to the effect that the material is considered privileged and confidential under exemption (b)(4) of the Freedom of Information Act (5 U.S.C. 552), and that it should not be released to anyone other than the original submitter.
(b) If the equipment or material is required by the subpart to be inspected and tested by an independent laboratory, the application must contain the following additional information:
(1) The name and address of a laboratory that meets §159.010-3(a) and that is selected by the manufacturer to perform or supervise the inspections and tests.
(2) If the laboratory has not been accepted previously for inspecting and testing the manufacturer's equipment or material under the applicable subpart, the completed application under §159.010-5(a).
[44 FR 73043, Dec. 17, 1979, as amended by CGD 85-205, 62 FR 25545, May 9, 1997]