Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§148.205 Ammonium nitrate and ammonium nitrate fertilizers.
(a) This section applies to the stowage and transportation in bulk of ammonium nitrate and the following fertilizers composed of uniform, non-segregating mixtures containing ammonium nitrate:
(1) Ammonium nitrate containing added organic matter that is chemically inert towards the ammonium nitrate; containing at least 90 percent ammonium nitrate and a maximum of 0.2 percent of combustible material (including organic material calculated as carbon); or containing less than 90 percent but more than 70 percent of ammonium nitrate and a maximum of 0.4 percent combustible material;
(2) Ammonium nitrate with calcium carbonate and/or dolomite, containing more than 80 percent but less than 90 percent of ammonium nitrate and a maximum of 0.4 percent of total combustible material;
(3) Ammonium nitrate with ammonium sulfate containing more than 45 percent but a maximum of 70 percent of ammonium nitrate and containing a maximum of 0.4 percent of combustible material; and
(4) Nitrogen phosphate or nitrogen/potash type fertilizers or complete nitrogen/phosphate/potash type fertilizers containing more than 70 percent but less than 90 percent of ammonium nitrate and a maximum of 0.4 percent of combustible material.
(b) No material covered by this section may be transported in bulk unless it demonstrates resistance to detonation when tested by one of the following methods:
(1) Appendix 2, Section 5, of the IMSBC Code (incorporated by reference, see §148.8);
(2) Test series 1 and 2 of the Class 1 (explosive) in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part I (incorporated by reference, see §148.8); or
(3) An equivalent test satisfactory to the Administration of the country of shipment.
(c) Before loading a material covered by this section—
(1) The shipper must give the master of the vessel written certification that the material has met the test requirements of paragraph (b) of this section;
(2) The cargo hold must be inspected for cleanliness and free from readily combustible materials;
(3) Each cargo hatch must be weathertight as defined in §42.13-10 of this chapter;
(4) The temperature of the material must be less than 55 °C (131 °F); and
(5) Each fuel tank under a cargo hold where the material is stowed must be pressure tested before loading to ensure that there is no leakage of manholes or piping systems leading through the cargo hold.
(d) Bunkering or transferring of fuel to or from the vessel may not be performed during cargo loading and unloading operations involving a material covered by this section.
(e) When a material covered by this section is transported on a cargo vessel—
(1) No other material may be stowed in the same hold with that material;
(2) In addition to the segregation requirements in §148.140 of this part, the material must be separated by a complete cargo compartment or hold from readily combustible materials, chlorates, chlorides, chlorites, hypochlorites, nitrites, permanganates, and fibrous materials; and
(3) The bulkhead between a cargo hold containing a material covered by this section and the engine room must be insulated to “A-60” class division or an equivalent arrangement to the satisfaction of the cognizant Coast Guard Captain of the Port or the Administration of the country of shipment.