Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Text | PDF
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§122.304 Navigation underway.
(a) The movement of a vessel shall be under the direction and control of the master or a licensed mate at all times. The master shall operate the vessel keeping the safety of the passengers and crew foremost in mind by directing the vessel in order to prevent a casualty. Special attention should be paid to:
(1) The current(s) velocity and direction of the transmitting area;
(2) Tidal state;
(3) Prevailing and forecasted visibility and environmental conditions, including wind and waves;
(4) Density of marine traffic;
(5) Potential damage caused by own wake;
(6) The danger of each closing visual or radar contact;
(7) Vessel's handling characteristics; and
(8) Magnetic variation and deviation errors of the compass.
[CGD 85-080, 61 FR 935, Jan. 10, 1996, as amended by 62 FR 51352, Sept. 30, 1997; USCG-2007-0030, 75 FR 78082, Dec. 14, 2010; USCG-2014-0688, 79 FR 58283, Sept. 10, 2014]