Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§122.304 Navigation underway.
(a) The movement of a vessel shall be under the direction and control of the master or a licensed mate at all times. The master shall operate the vessel keeping the safety of the passengers and crew foremost in mind by directing the vessel in order to prevent a casualty. Special attention should be paid to:
(1) The current(s) velocity and direction of the transmitting area;
(2) Tidal state;
(3) Prevailing and forecasted visibility and environmental conditions, including wind and waves;
(4) Density of marine traffic;
(5) Potential damage caused by own wake;
(6) The danger of each closing visual or radar contact;
(7) Vessel's handling characteristics; and
(8) Magnetic variation and deviation errors of the compass.
[CGD 85-080, 61 FR 935, Jan. 10, 1996, as amended by 62 FR 51352, Sept. 30, 1997; USCG-2007-0030, 75 FR 78082, Dec. 14, 2010; USCG-2014-0688, 79 FR 58283, Sept. 10, 2014]