Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Publishing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
(a) A protected space must be fitted with an approved audible alarm if:
(1) The space is normally accessible to persons onboard while the vessel is being navigated; and
(2) Is not a paint locker or similar small space.
(b) The alarm must:
(1) Sound automatically and audibly for at least 20 seconds before carbon dioxide is discharged into the space;
(2) Be conspicuously and centrally located and be marked as required by 46 CFR 97.37-9; and
(3) Use stored gas power provided by the extinguishing agent, gas from pilot cylinders, or gas from cylinders specifically provided to power the alarms.
(c) For systems installed on or after July 1, 1957, alarms are mandatory only for systems required to be fitted with a delayed discharge.
[USCG-2006-24797, 77 FR 33878, June 7, 2012]