Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
The Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) is a regularly updated, unofficial editorial compilation of CFR material and Federal Register amendments produced by the National Archives and Records Administration's Office of the Federal Register (OFR) and the Government Printing Office.
Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules for the Code of Federal Regulations and the United States Code
Text | PDF
Find, review, and submit comments on Federal rules that are open for comment and published in the Federal Register using Regulations.gov.
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§98.52 Administrative costs.
(a) Not more than five percent of the aggregate funds expended by the Lead Agency from each fiscal year's allotment, including the amounts expended in the State pursuant to §98.53(b), shall be expended for administrative activities. These activities may include but are not limited to:
(1) Salaries and related costs of the staff of the Lead Agency or other agencies engaged in the administration and implementation of the program pursuant to §98.11. Program administration and implementation include the following types of activities:
(i) Planning, developing, and designing the Child Care and Development Fund program;
(ii) Providing local officials and the public with information about the program, including the conduct of public hearings;
(iii) Preparing the application and Plan;
(iv) Developing agreements with administering agencies in order to carry out program activities;
(v) Monitoring program activities for compliance with program requirements;
(vi) Preparing reports and other documents related to the program for submission to the Secretary;
(vii) Maintaining substantiated complaint files in accordance with the requirements of §98.32;
(viii) Coordinating the provision of Child Care and Development Fund services with other Federal, State, and local child care, early childhood development programs, and before-and after-school care programs;
(ix) Coordinating the resolution of audit and monitoring findings;
(x) Evaluating program results; and
(xi) Managing or supervising persons with responsibilities described in paragraphs (a)(1)(i) through (x) of this section;
(2) Travel costs incurred for official business in carrying out the program;
(3) Administrative services, including such services as accounting services, performed by grantees or subgrantees or under agreements with third parties;
(4) Audit services as required at §98.65;
(5) Other costs for goods and services required for the administration of the program, including rental or purchase of equipment, utilities, and office supplies; and
(6) Indirect costs as determined by an indirect cost agreement or cost allocation plan pursuant to §98.55.
(b) The five percent limitation at paragraph (a) of this section applies only to the States and Territories. The amount of the limitation at paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to Tribes or tribal organizations.
(c) Non-Federal expenditures required by §98.53(c) (i.e., the maintenance-of-effort amount) are not subject to the five percent limitation at paragraph (a) of this section.