Download the Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
Text | PDF
Purchase individual CFR titles from the U.S. Government Online Bookstore.
Find issues of the CFR (including issues prior to 1996) at a local Federal depository library.
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
§90.4 How are the terms in these regulations defined?
As used in these regulations, the term:
Act means the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, (Title III of Pub. L. 94-135).
Action means any act, activity, policy, rule, standard, or method of administration; or the use of any policy, rule, standard, or method of administration.
Age means how old a person is, or the number of elapsed years form the date of a person's birth.
Age distinction means any action using age or an age-related term.
Age-related term means a word or words which necessarily imply a particular age or range of ages (for example, children, adult, older persons, but not student).
Agency means a Federal department or agency that is empowered to extend financial assistance.
Federal financial assistance means any grant, entitlement, loan, cooperative agreement, contract (other than a procurement contract or a contract of insurance or guaranty), or any other arrangement by which the agency provides or otherwise makes available assistance in the form of:
(b) Services of Federal personnel; or
(c) Real and personal property or any interest in or use of property, including:
(1) Transfers or leases of property for less than fair market value or for reduced consideration; and
(2) Proceeds from a subsequent transfer or lease of property if the Federal share of its fair market value is not returned to the Federal Government.
Program or activity means all of the operations of—
(a)(1) A department, agency, special purpose district, or other instrumentality of a State or of a local government; or
(2) The entity of such State or local government that distributes Federal financial assistance and each such department or agency (and each other State or local government entity) to which the assistance is extended, in the case of assistance to a State or local government;
(b)(1) A college, university, or other postsecondary institution, or a public system of higher education; or
(2) A local educational agency (as defined in 20 U.S.C. 7801), system of vocational education, or other school system;
(c)(1) An entire corporation, partnership, or other private organization, or an entire sole proprietorship—
(i) If assistance is extended to such corporation, partnership, private organization, or sole proprietorship as a whole; or
(ii) Which is principally engaged in the business of providing education, health care, housing, social services, or parks and recreation; or
(2) The entire plant or other comparable, geographically separate facility to which Federal financial assistance is extended, in the case of any other corporation, partnership, private organization, or sole proprietorship; or
(d) Any other entity which is established by two or more of the entities described in paragraph (a), (b), or (c) of this definition; any part of which is extended Federal financial assistance.
Recipient means any State or its political subdivision, any instrumentality of a State or its political sub-division, any public or private agency, institution, organization, or other entity, or any person to which Federal financial assistance is extended, directly or through another recipient. Recipient includes any successor, assignee, or transferee, but excludes the ultimate beneficiary of the assistance.
Secretary means the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services.
United States means the fifty States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Wake Island, the Canal Zone, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the Northern Marianas, and the territories and possessions of the United States.
(42 U.S.C. 6107)
[44 FR 33776, June 12, 1979, as amended at 70 FR 24321, May 9, 2005]